Ben Grant wrote:

" - Approval Voting tends to result in irrelevant approval votes being given to
weak candidates – which is pointless, or slightly stronger (but still losing)
candidates can once again present a spoiler effect where a person’s
least preferred choice is elected because they cast their approval only toward
their most preferred choice, who was nowhere near supported enough to stop
their least preferred choice.

Am I substantially wrong about any of this? Ultimately, in real and practical
terms, it seems that done intelligently, Score Voting devolves into Approval
Voting, and Approval Voting devolves into Plurality Voting."

The idea is that some voters dislike feeling strategically pressured to vote
their sincere favourites below equal-top. With voters never needing to vote
their sincere favourites below equal-top, previous elections become a much
better indicator of which candidates are really "weak".

So I don't see compliance with the Favorite Betrayal Criterion as "pointless".

Chris Benham