2012/12/10 Daniel Foré <dan...@elementaryos.org>:
> Yea, it is possible to change the default for the Save dialog? Defaulting to
> recent makes no sense since you can't save there.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/63202/can-i-stop-apps-from-selecting-recently-used-by-default-in-file-chooser-dialog
and
http://askubuntu.com/questions/63202/can-i-stop-apps-from-selecting-recently-used-by-default-in-file-chooser-dialog
are not of much help, but at least they point to one of the upstream
commits that introduces this behavior. We can revert those commits and
undo the changes for both dialogs.

Alternatively, I think I know a hack to disable this behavior just for
the Save dialog: it defaults to the last used folder that's stored in
dconf most of the time, and falls back to recently used only if that
key is empty. The dialog unsets the key every time you cancel file
selection; if we disable unsetting it, we should get it to always
default to the latest used folder. In this case we'll also have to add
a script that's run on session startup that resets it to home folder,
otherwise it will still default to recently used files initially.

But IMO this behavior is useless for Open dialog in our case because
we have a better solution for file handover (Contractor), so I'd
prefer to revert it for both Save and Open. But that's up to designers
of course.

Either way that will require patching GTK. That's nothing too fancy;
all required architecture is already in place AFAIK, but I'll have to
consult Rico beforehand.

I've filed a bug about this so it doesn't get lost:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+bug/1088439

Awaiting designer input on the couse of action for Open dialog.

--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff
OS architect @ elementary