On 08/10/05 15:53 +0300, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo said ...
> in the ELinks sources and to which files they apply.  I think it
> would be useful to have a similar list in the ELinks source tree,
> perhaps as part of COPYING.  However, I am not sure the
> information in your list is correct.
>
> You write that "Unicode/*.cp are licensed under The Unicode
> Consortium license".  Not all files there contain licence notices
> to that effect; can you clarify how you checked their origins?

Microsoft is a part of the Unicode consortium and since these files are
distributed at unicode.org I assumed them all to be of the same license.

Still, as you noted further in the mail in the details, I think I made a
mistake with this, I will correct this.

> Is the Unicode Consortium license compatible with GNU GPL v2 and
> later?  If it is, I think we should replace the bundled files
> with the current versions from www.unicode.org so that the
> licence notices are properly displayed.  If it is not, I think we
> should remove the files and rewire ELinks to use iconv instead.

The license is more permissive than GPLv2 and my understanding is that
it is in the ELinks licensing terms that there should be an exception to
"allow" works under the Unicode Consortium licensing to be used with it.
That is, if a copy of these have been "derived" for ELinks use.

That apart, I am not qualified enough to comment on 'using iconv'.

> How did you find that the Unicode Consortium license also applies
> to the mappings provided by Microsoft?  Does it matter that the
> character names in the comments are presumably copyrighted by the
> Unicode Consortium?

Based on the availability of these on unicode.org and Microsoft being a
member of the Unicode consortium.

> Some mappings have been copied from Lynx 2.8.2, which is licensed
> under GPLv2 only.  This could make it more difficult to relicense
> ELinks back to "GPL v2 or later".

Is there an intention to license ELinks under GPLv2+?

Regards,

Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://appaji.net/