On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 12:25:16PM -0600, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 06:05:35PM +0000, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Do the browsers with which you are familiar actually check every time
> > when you view a document (presumably using the HTTP If-Modified-Since
> > header) whether there is a newer copy on the server?
> >
> > ELinks could do that, but it would be a little complex, and far too
> > slow. I can't even stand the behaviour with ignore_cache_control
> > disabled, which only affects documents that explicitely signal that they
> > should be reloaded from the server. Such behaviour might be acceptable
> > if done in the background, but then it would be a bit confusing (you
> > load the document, you start to read it, then it suddenly updates while
> > you're in the middling of reading it).
>
> My main browser is Firefox; I use ELinks under special circumstances.
> Unfortunately, I'm really just a user and don't know how exactly Firefox
> knows to reload a page.  It does seem like there's some network activity,
> so it probably is checking if there's a newer copy on the server.  If
> that's the case, I'm not sure why you think it would be so slow.  I find
> Firefox to be pretty fast, so ELinks should be at least as fast if it was
> doing the same server query, no?  Overall, it seems to me like ELinks is a
> very fast browser, which should be no surprise since it's just text.  When
> for the proper page.  (I wouldn't want it to work as you describe, showing
> the old page and then updating it in the background.  I'd prefer
> to wait.)  Maybe this could be a setting for those that prefer speed and
> don't ever use ELinks to visit frequently-changing pages?  (Notice I'm
> avoiding the whole issue of the complexity of implementing this...!)

The split-second delay would be mildly annoying, but that is the best
case, when the server is responsive. How is the performance with slow
servers? In any case, I do not consider Firefox to be anywere near
'pretty fast'.

Doing what you describe might be feasible. It would be a little more
code for the HTTP part and a little re-engineering of the cache code,
but it doesn't sound too difficult. Whether it will actually get done
also depends on whether the developers desire such behaviour, however.

--
Miciah Masters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> / <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>