On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:05:35PM EDT, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:
[..]
> Do the browsers with which you are familiar actually check every time
> when you view a document (presumably using the HTTP If-Modified-Since
> header) whether there is a newer copy on the server?

In mozilla it's customizable. Under Preferences > Advanced > Cache, you
have the following options:

Compare the page in the cache to the page on the network:

. Every time I view the page
. When the page is out of date
. Once per session
. Never

I assume this to really mean.. :-) 'obtain and display' the page from
the server in lieu of the one in the cache.. under the above
circumstances.. rather than 'compare' which is not the same thing.

Sorry for being splitting hairs.

> ELinks could do that, but it would be a little complex, and far too
> slow.

Not really.  I hit Ctrl-R all the time when accessing news sites where
the contents change frequently and on a decent broadband connection
*and* provided the server is responsive.. this does not result in any
noticeable delay.  IOW the reloading does not feel like it adds
anything to the Ctrl-R action.

OTOH doing the same thing in mozilla is quite slow on my machine.. not
because of the time it takes to fetch a new version but appently because
of the rendering (PIII 650MHz).  This is one of the main reasons I have
switched to elinks for pratcticall all web browsing.. couldn't put up
with mozilla executing its million lines of code every time I displayed
a new page.

> I can't even stand the behaviour with ignore_cache_control
> disabled, which only affects documents that explicitely signal that they
> should be reloaded from the server.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to do.  I set this flag to '0' as
suggested in an earlier post and even though I cycled elinks I have not
noticed a change in behavior.

> Such behaviour might be acceptable
> if done in the background, but then it would be a bit confusing (you
> load the document, you start to read it, then it suddenly updates while
> you're in the middling of reading it).

The main problem that I have - even with pages whose contents do not
change frequently such as an online docs/manuals is that the links on
the page do not switch to their 'visited' color.. which sometimes makes
it a bit confusing.. but no big deal, since I have gotten used to
Ctrl-R'ing all the time without thinking.

Since this mainly poses problem when hitting the back key - 'h' - maybe
I should find a way to map this to a short script/macro that just does
'back'+'reload'?

Hope the above is relevant.

Thanks

cga