Is there a modern solution so this? If a Case necessarily has several
unavoidably slow tests, is there any way to run them in parallel? For TDD
purposes, adding even 5 seconds to total test duration is very undesirable.
Did the "context" solution ever come to pass? What is the modern solution?
Would you be open to something like "use ExUnit.Case, parallel: true"?

I understand that defaulting to parallel would break many things. But there
are many, if not the majority of cases were parallel tests would be fine.
Most test suites don't access global state. Having the OPTION to enable
parallel tests where it just isn't feasible to speed tests up would be a
good tool.