Julian,

I also have a Python background :)

Elm will not replace Python anytime soon as a *general* purpose language.
Python has way more libraries and documentation, plus some problems are
just easier to solve with an imperative approach.
That being said, Elm needs not replace Python.
I see myself still doing small, utility scripts in python and serious work
in Elm for years to come.
Elm has a very solid design so, after it reaches 1.0 I see it start to eat
a lot from the jobs of other languages.
It will get alternative backends and this might open the door for even more
applications.

As for Haskell, Erlang, Elixir... Elm was designed to be friendlier than
either of those.
So, it makes no sense to learn Haskell first if you want to work in Elm and
it makes a lot of sense to learn Elm first if you want to end up using
Haskell.

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 3:58 AM, julian ebeli <julian.em...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All
> I've just discovered ELM as part of a general interest in Functional
> Programming.
> I'm a Python programmer and have just recently started to do Python
> Functionally, I'm a slow learner!
> Will ELM ever be something I can replace Python with?
> I realize its early days but is it part of the plan for this language or
> will it be the best way to do SPAs
>
> Also should I be learning Haskell, Erlang, Elixir or other if I want to
> develop my general purpose Functional Programming skills and stay on an ELM
> pathway?
>
> Thanks

There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/