Closure sounds like a nice property in theory. In practice, it's built on the
idea that you have to hide things, because things tend to break and
encapsulation is the only way to keep that breakage from spiraling out of
control. But in Elm, things don't break very often, and when they do the
compiler is there to catch them. So don't worry about components, just use
functions.

That said, there's a very important point in OP about state for HTML tags. For
example, the reuse section of the guide  has an example with checkboxes. These
boxes send messages to toggle their state when they are clicked. But, there is
no way to pre-populate the state of the checkboxes for example with information
you get from the server. In another thread, I think this is worth discussing.
If some HTML components are state full what do we do about that, without
jumping down the rabbit hole of components?