I'm writing a real time strategy game and I'm using numeric ids on
everything.

For example, each unit has an Id, and the command to attack another unit
contains the target unit id.
I keep all units in a (Dict UnitId Unit), so I can access each quickly.
It's not as handy (or fast) as having pointers, but it is more robust: say
the target unit is destroyed, the attacking unit will be left with Nothing
to attack rather than a seg fault/reference error.