On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 2:39:21 PM UTC, Rupert Smith wrote:

> On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 11:42:30 AM UTC, Michel Rijnders wrote:
>>
>> The issue is that somebody forked our package (truqu/elm-base64) and
>> published it, so now there's two (nearly) identical packages, potentially
>> causing confusion.
>>

> I was recently wondering what would happen if someone did a fork then
> publish. Why did they do it? was it to bump your package up for Elm 0.18?

http://package.elm-lang.org/packages/MichaelCombs28/elm-mdl/latest

elm-mdl has a fork which is upgraded for Elm 0.18, whereas the 'official'
debois/elm-mdl has not been upgraded yet. Which is why I am wondering if
this is happening because of the bump to 0.18. I guess people are not
prepared to do it the nice way, which would be to ask the author(s) if they
would accept help to bump to 0.18, do the work and make a pull-request,
then politely but persistenly ask for the work to be published.

I'm still waiting on a few packages before I can move up to 0.18, but I
would not take the approach of publishing forks.