I think the problem is slightly different than you think.  The reason the
compiler complains about the redundant pattern is that "x" already matches
everything.  There are no more cases for "_" to handle.

This compiles with no problem:
  let
    x = 1
  in
    case something of
      x -> ...

I expect that you are actually looking to do something like this:
  let
    x = 1
  in
    case something of