Over on SO I just posted an answer (see below) to the question there.
Your case is different, because you do not have want to navigate away based
on a click, but from your update function.

In your case, I would suggest to use a port:

   - Send the url as a string through a port to javascript
   - In javascript, call `window.location.href = urlFromElm`

-----
To make any item a clickable link (similar to providing a href to an a
element) there is hack that you could use:
Supply a one-liner of javascript to an Elm style attribute. Using
`attribute` from the `Html.Attributes` library.

You could make your own helper that does the redirect:

    redirectTo : String -> Attribute msg
    redirectTo destinationUrl =
      attribute
        "onclick"
        ("window.location.href = ' ++ destinationURL ++ "'")

Which you can add to any element like this:

    button
      [ class "mdl-button", redirectTo "https://google.com"; ]
      [ text "Click to leave" ]