On Friday, 13 January 2017 22:40:07 UTC+7, Rupert Smith wrote:

> On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 3:18:48 PM UTC, OvermindDL1 wrote:
>>
>> That is actually why I think Elm should compile to a a different
>> back-end, like ocaml/bucklescript or so.  The syntax is uniform enough that
>> making an elm->ocaml/bucklescript transpiler would be just a matter of
>> re-using most of the existing parser in OCaml, which is already beyond
>> blazing fast in comparison.  It would significantly reduce elm's compiling
>> time, it would get it to a back-end that has far far more optimizing passes
>> than elm itself does while being substantially better tested, and it would
>> give a method of being able to compile elm to bare-metal for very fast
>> server-side page generation.
>>

> Now you're talking.
>
> All that this would take would be to write an Elm parser into the first
> stage of the OCaml pipeline? You'd also need to compile the Native modules,
> is there already some way to feed them into the Ocaml pipeline?

Elm "Native" libraries are JavaScript, and that is what BuckleScript does:
as well as output JS code, it also has JS FFI to allow BuckleScript code to
call to/receive calls from JS code.  I think this would be handled by an
Elm PP just as OCaml handles FFI references -  leaving FFI blanks to be
later "filled in" by later passes.