Richard and Hongbo, I'm relieved to know that others are aware of the long
compilation times = linking times for big projects and that it will likely
get fixed in the next several months.  I'm not going to worry about it in
that case, and Hongbo's information on how little time it can take as OCaml
does it is comforting, as there then is no reason that Even can't come up
with something similar.  I'll just look into if I can help on the speed of
the generated code from the back end, which is something for which I may be
able to help, and which Even doesn't have time to look into currently.  It
may turn out to be too much for me, but at least I'll know.