I've done some work in this realm. See:
https://github.com/john-kelly/elm-postgrest. The library is domain specific to
a restful backend following the postgrest specification, however, there are a
number of ideas that I think similar libraries could benefit from. 2 in
particular that I think are worth looking at:

1. Handling of relationships (with user defined phantom types)
2. Building query and decoder simultaneously

In regards to code gen, as I see it, the only thing needing to be generated
would be the Resource representation. Many people argue that decoders and
encoders are the pain point, but I think with a good query builder API this
pain is alleviated. I was unable to come up with a general API myself (hence
the domain specific library I made), so I am interested in your efforts.

Would love to chat! I'm usually on slack + the sf meetup.