I encountered this exact situation in a medium-sized app I've written. I
just handled the issue in the update function; when I sent a Toggle message
to the footer I would also set everything else to Hidden. I think it worked
fine for my case, but I guess in a large application written by lots of
people the only way to make sure of this would be writing a comment and
pinky swear not to ever change that component's state with other messages.
So yeah, I'm not sure there's a way to handle this at type level in Elm
without making things too complicated.

I remember reading about behavioural types
(http://www.behavioural-types.eu/), I don't fully understand them but I
think this problem could possibly be a good fit for them? Not that there's
any language that implements them yet.