On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 05:25:11 UTC-4, Rupert Smith wrote:

> Thanks for this explanation. Also, I did say in my OP that performance was
> not such an important issue for me, as I am only rendering a relatively
> static diagram that does not have a huge number of elements in it. I should
> also concede that there is no guarantee that using 3x3 matrices would be
> faster anyway, it depends on the implementation and the only real way to
> know would be to set up a benchmark and measure and compare.
>
> So I decided to go with OpenSolid as it is a very nice library and has a
> lot of features.

Great! Let me know if you run into anything. There are definitely lots of
places where the implementation could be made more efficient - to start I
implemented everything in the cleanest/simplest way I could think of, but
over time I'm planning to go back and do some optimizations to avoid
unnecessary object allocations and function calls. I've already done this
in a few places, but if you do run into any performance bottlenecks let me
know so I know where to focus next. (Apologies for the late reply, I was at
a conference for the last couple of days...)

> I also cloned OpenSolid/svg and made a version that renders to
> elm-community/typed-svg. Once I have finished converting the docs, tests
> and examples you might like to clone it back again and publish it under
> OpenSolid/typed-svg? I'll let you know once I get to that stage anyway.

I confess I'm still not sure exactly why a separate typed-svg version is
necessary...since the TypedSvg.Core.Svg and TypedSvg.Core.Attribute are
still just aliases for VirtualDom.Node and VirtualDom.Property respectively
(instead of being new opaque types or something), you can already mix
typed-svg and opensolid/svg elements/attributes freely without any kind of
conversion or anything - see https://ellie-app.com/39pwNnwDzcqa1/2 for an
example. To me the only difference is that a typed-svg version of
opensolid/svg would depend on elm-community/typed-svg instead of
elm-lang/svg and the internal implementation would be slightly different -
but the exposed APIs would have exactly the same types. Am I missing
something?