On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 2:50:05 PM UTC+1, Rupert Smith wrote:

> I'm going to the upcoming Elm Europe conference, so I can talk to the core
> devs there and see what they think of it. As I said before, perhaps its not
> an 'architectural' direction that they like; on the other hand it does seem
> both simple and useful.

There was someone else who wrote a 'middleware' component for Elm, but did
it with 'out messages' instead of as an effect module. There was a routing
part that you put in you top-level update function. Let me see if I can
find it...

One criticism of elmq might be that it is not so transparent. So if a
module sends a message, the Cmd for that is passed into the Elm kernel, and
from then on it sort of disappears from the compilers view - the messages
are untyped in so far as that they are Json.Encode.Values. There is no way
for the compiler to check that whatever receives them has a matching type,
or indeed that there is any receiver listening at all. At least with 'out
messages' the type checking will flow across the modules. Of course there
could still be a bug in code where the 'out messages' are ignored and not
processed. It may be possible to improve the elmq API to mitigate these
issues - for example, an option to discard messages when there is no
receiver and so on.