Hey Robin! 👋

Thank you for checking and thinking about my exploration here! 🙂

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 11:31:20 AM UTC+3, Robin Heggelund Hansen
wrote:

> Won't this break the reactor/debugger? You can't really tell what sort of
> messages is being passed around in your application with this model, if you
> want to export message history, it would fail as well I believe.

If by “break” you mean that I won’t be able to tell by looking at the
message history in the Debugger window, then you’re right: there is only
one kind of message, and you can’t really tell much just by looking at
that. 😶

The reason it wasn’t an issue for me is that I didn’t use the Debugger and
stopped using the Reactor as soon as I brought in ports. I don’t know how
to plug in the JS that I call through ports, without having a separate
index.html
<https://github.com/gurdiga/xo.elm/blob/9fe9bd1b9f7cb13b6653ec55d9e873033e8930ed/index.html>

in which I plug the external library
<https://github.com/gurdiga/xo.elm/blob/9fe9bd1b9f7cb13b6653ec55d9e873033e8930ed/index.html#L13>
, the bundle coming out of Elm
<https://github.com/gurdiga/xo.elm/blob/9fe9bd1b9f7cb13b6653ec55d9e873033e8930ed/index.html#L14>,

and then the bits of glue code
<https://github.com/gurdiga/xo.elm/blob/9fe9bd1b9f7cb13b6653ec55d9e873033e8930ed/index.html#L21-L22>

to tie them together. 😑

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with having ports working with the
Elm Reactor. 🤔

> I think a better way would be to not have nested components. Keep your
> entire message hierarchy, and model structure, flat.

Yeah, this is the default recommendation that I hear in the Elm community.
I’ve heard Richard Feldman mentioning that they also have a flat structure
for their production app at NoRedInk, but I think I just can’t imagine how
would that look like, and then, as I guess every other mortal, I fallback
to ways that I know. 🙃

One other reason why I went hierarchical is that I’m used to seeing domain
models as hierarchies, and in My Ideal World®✨ the code follows the domain
as close as possible. 😎

I’m definitely open to hearing, or — even better — *seeing* examples of
large apps that use a flat structure. 🤓