I ran into the same problem with the fully updated Ubuntu 7.10, but
with the v4l-dvb repository (which just incorporated Markus's
em28xx-alsa module).

This appears to be a problem with the way Ubuntu built the snd-pcm.ko
in the linux-backports-modules-2.6.22-14.10.  If you remove that
package (for example by using the Synaptic Package Manager), this
causes the kernel to go back to using the snd-pcm.ko that ships with
the 2.6.22 kernel instead of the one in
/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/updates), then the em28xx-alsa module
will successfully load.

After removing that update package (which only appears to contain
updates to various sound devices), I rebooted the system and the
module would successfully load, and I would get audio output as long
as I ran the sox command while running tvtime (tvtime still doesn't
natively support the audio but that's an unrelated issue).

Hope those of you encountering this issue find the above helpful.

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com