On Jan 7, 2008 10:06 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Devin, thanks for the reply...as far as I understand I don't think your
> solution can be applied to my case, because if I remove the
> linux-backports-modules-2.6.22-14.10, maybe I will have the module loading
> properly, but I will surely lose audio from my system, since I need that
> update (or the latest alsa) in order to hear sound from my pc...In Italy we
> say "it's the dog that bites its tail" (don't know if this way of saying is
> common allover the world..)
> Btw I saw on your site you've been to Venice: that's where I was born and
> where I work..in this http://pics.livejournal.com/devinjh/pic/0000ygrf/g21
> picture you are 2 minutes from my office! :-)
> I hope you enjoyed this city

Hello,

Admittedly, I do not know if the update includes fixes specific to
your particular sound card, but I do not believe it is certain that
this would cause your card to stop working (unless you installed the
update to address some specific problem).  I would suggest you remove
the module and see if the sound continues to work in general.  If what
you are saying is true and the sound card does stop working, you can
just run the Synaptic Update Manager again and reinstall the module.

Agreed that if you need the update to be installed then this isn't a
viable solution.  Either way, somebody should probably file a ticket
with Canonical and make them aware that they are distributing what
would appear to be a broken update (although I would have to
disassemble the .ko to get the symbol versions and see what version of
ALSA it was built against to know for sure).

Yeah, Venice was fantastic!  Thanks for asking...

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com