To continue... my first reaction to the bug was to
(setq org-beamer-frame-environment "frame")
to test. That resulted in
\newenvironment<>{frame}[1][]{\begin{frame}[environment=frame,#1]}{\end{frame}}
which is somehow weird and wrong.

This is why I propose to wrap the code in an
(unless (string= org-beamer-frame-environment "frame") ... )
so we are protected against people like me ;-)

Best, /PA