---- On Wed, 01 May 2024 20:01:03 +0200  Ihor Radchenko  wrote ---
 > Matt m...@excalamus.com> writes:
 >
 > > I disagree with one aspect: we shouldn't use Worg as a source of
 > > truth. The argument holds based on historical behavior of :cmdline.
 > > AFAIU, Worg is a wiki which is open, more or less, to anyone. Worg
 > > contents, AFAIU, have not always undergone review. The manual should
 > > be the final authority. Fortunately, there's nothing in the manual
 > > about :cmdline.
 >
 > For babel backends specifically, WORG is _the_ documentation for the
 > built-in backends. It is what we will eventually move to the official
 > manual and it is what we point users to from the manual for now.

Okay, I didn't know we made an explicit reference.

  > (2) nobody got around to actually move things to the manual.

I'd be happy to help with this.  Discussion for another thread, though.

 > > Are we thinking of implementing these for other languages, beyond
 > > ob-shell?
 >
 > Yes. The title of this thread has "across babel backends" :)

:)

 > > If we're looking at these as general headers, then I don't think "arg"
 > > is the correct term here since a switch may not take a value. For
 > > example, the "-r" option for Bash (IIUC).
 >
 > > Quick name ideas that aren't good yet may inspire better ones by
 > > inspiring disgust--:switches, :flags, :options, (using an "i" prefix
 > > for "interpreter") :iswitches, :iflags, :ioptions
 >
 > Emm... but "command line arguments". No?

I was thinking it'd be strange to have an "argument to an argument."  However,
the Bash man says things like "non-option arguments".  It wasn't my intent to
have an argument argument argument.

Since we're considering this for all babel backends, "interpreter-args"
wouldn't describe gcc or other compilers.  What about :command-args,
:command-args, :cmd-args?  "Command" is the only thing I can think of that
describes all of the languages, other than maybe "binary" or "executable".
Maybe we could simply use ":args"?  Maybe ":meta-args" since gcc or bash is
meta to the script/artifact?

--
Matt Trzcinski
Emacs Org contributor (ob-shell)