Orm Finnendahl <orm.finnend...@selma.hfmdk-frankfurt.de> writes:

> ... I think printing
> headline numbers should get handled in the transcoding stage of the
> backend and not before.

I am confused here.
What do you mean by "printing"?

> ... Multipage export behind the scenes is
> completely dependant on headline numbering, even if headlines aren't
> displayed, so the code in ox.el first proceeds, as if headline
> numbering is turned on and moves the check for headline numbering to
> the transcoding stage. I didn't change the behaviour in the
> single-page html situation. Although I think that it might make sense
> that headline-numbering in general only gets checked at the
> transcoding stage that would affect all backends, so I didn't change
> anything.

I am again confused.
There are three main functions handling headline numbering:
1. `org-export--collect-headline-numbering'
2. `org-export-get-headline-number'
3. `org-export-numbered-headline-p'

`org-export--collect-headline-numbering' is evaluated unconditionally,
regardless of num:t or num:nil settings.

`org-export-get-headline-number' and `org-export-numbered-headline-p'
are API functions that get called by the individual backends as needed.
If they deem it necessary to ignore :section-numbers setting, they are
free to.

What is wrong with these three functions?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,