>> This is much closer to the behavior of org-latex-preview.  Since all
>> these behaviors are new I think it makes sense to be as consistent as
>> possible for "preview" behavior in Org.
>
> I agree.
> Do you want to create a patch to that effect?

I'll send a patch.

>> Separately, are you interested in separating the link preview code into
>> an org-image-preview library?  This will include the feature of
>> registering link preview handlers for different kinds of links, such as
>> video thumbnails for local video links and youtube links, etc.  I
>> already have this working for a couple of years now in
>> org-image-preview.el (linked in previous email), but hadn't submitted it
>> yet since the previews are synchronous.  I was waiting for org-async to
>> be added along with the LaTeX preview patch so I could submit an async
>> version.  But there appears to be activity around image previews right
>> now so I can submit it and work on making it async later.
>
> This sounds like a reasonable addition, yes.
> Maybe even hook into link parameters.

Yes, the idea is to add an org-link-parameter named ":preview" so each
link type can register how it should be previewed.  When omitted, we
fall back to a default (only for file links) that's the current
image preview behavior.

More fine-grained behavior may be desired in the future -- for example,
web url links to YouTube should be previewed differently from web url
links to arXiv, but for now this will be the responsibility of the
single :preview function in org-link-parameters.

Would you like this to be part of org.el or should I spin out an
org-image-preview.el feature+library?

Karthik