Wow!  I had hoped to start looking at this over the long weekend
but had other things grabbing my attention.  Now Chris has already
submitted a patch for it!

Chris, I take it that the following:

  #+begin_refquote {Albert Einstein}
  Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.
  #+end_refquote

would then translate into:

  \begin{refquote}{Albert Einstein}
  Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.
  \end{refquote}

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Mark