The bug has been fixed, so the following is moot.

Ah, but he didn't .  :)  Hence my question.  :)

I appreciated the effort to help, but I was wondering what he was
trying to say, because he used strings instead of regexps and he used
different settings for both variables.  The bug was with regexps (i.e.
{...}) and not strings.

In other words, he did not attempt to reproduce the bug, but instead
changed 3 conditions back to a known-working state.  It was not a
surprise that it worked.  :)

But, again, I appreciated the effort to help.

I was unable to type more than a few words at the time I asked.  I
hope this clarifies conclusively.