I have attached a minimal Org Mode setup that replicates this problem. The
files are minimal-org.el and test.org. The lisp file is the minimum
configuration for org-mode and the org-file is a simplified test file.

The minimal configuration assumes:

   - A working directory of ~/tmp/tags-test when it sets org-agenda-files
   - The Git Checkout of Org-Mode is located in
   ~/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp

Additionally, the minimal configuration has the troublesome agenda command
both as one block in a Block Agenda and listed separately as its one agenda
command. (My “real” environment uses this only in a block agenda so I was
covering all bases).

In each of the two cases below I have started Emacs with:

/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q -l ./minimal-org.el test.org

Non Working Test Case:

   - Switch to Org-Mode HEAD

   cd /Users/mike.mclean/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode
   git --no-pager checkout master
   make clean
   make autoloads

   - Launch Emacs as Above
   - Note the two version strings from message buffer

   GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2012-05-20 on bob.porkrind.org
   Org-mode version 7.8.10 (release_7.8.10-579-g372948 @
/Users/mike.mclean/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/)

   - M-x org-agena followed by t
   - Org Agenda Buffer contains just the following

   Headlines with TAGS match: +Outcome+PRIORITY="A"+LEVEL=4-{.*Backlog$}
   Press `C-u r' to search again with new search string

   - M-x org-agena followed by b
   - Org Agenda Buffer contains just the following

   Headlines with TAGS match: +Outcome+PRIORITY="A"+LEVEL=4-{.*Backlog$}

Working Test Case

   - Switch to Org Mode version just prior to Commit
c50f0c<http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commit;h=c50f0c>

   cd /Users/mike.mclean/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode
   git co c50f0c~1
   make clean
   make autoloads

   - Launch Emacs as Above
   - Note the two version strings from message buffer

   GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2012-05-20 on bob.porkrind.org
   release_7.8.09-33-g0ebeb
   Org-mode version 7.8.09 (release_7.8.09.33.g0ebeb)

   - M-x org-agena followed by t
   - Org Agenda Buffer contains the following (note that the correct Level
   4 outline item is selected)

   Headlines with TAGS match: +Outcome+PRIORITY="A"+LEVEL=4-{.*Backlog$}
   Press `C-u r' to search again with new search string
     test:       WIP [#A] Level 4 - should be in agenda
:noexport:Outcome::

   - M-x org-agena followed by b