​Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion. Putting extra spaces in the original solves the
smart quotes issue, but creates unwanted spaces on either side of the em
dash:

A new study
<http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/01/23/1948550614568867.abstract>
published
in Social Psychological and Personality Science has found that helping
other people — what scientists call being “prosocial” — increases your odds
of finding a long-term relationship.

Thanks,
Jay

---