Jay Dixit <di...@aya.yale.edu> writes:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Putting extra spaces in the original solves
> the smart quotes issue, but creates unwanted spaces on either side of
> the em dash:

I understand but I can't really help. If I'm right that the regexps are
looking for a space[fn:1] (and that's a big if), then the only way to
fix it is to modify one or more of them (see
org-export-smart-quotes-regexps, which btw is a defconst, so not really
meant to be modified), but I'm not up to that task.

Let's hope that I'm wrong and somebody comes up with a simpler solution.

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1]  or, rather, for something that the dash does not
        satisfy