On 25 Oct 1999, Kai Großjohann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

[...]

>> Also, a strange thing:  I get prompted twice for the pw.  The first
>> time, the prompt shows up in Emacs minibuff.  The second time, ssh
>> evidently isn't attached to a tty and so it pops up a graphical
>> prompt.
>
> Hm?  Graphical prompt from ssh?  Never seen that!  Can you give more
> detail on what happens?

'man ssh-askpass(1)' tells me that it's undocumented. Dang.

That's the piece of code that does it though. Try running it from a
terminal under X11 and see what happens. The command line is a prompt,
it spits the results out to stdout.

ssh(1) calls it when there is no stdin available IIRC.

        Daniel

[...]

> Omigod.  I think I'll use this one:
>
> "\\(%s\\)\\|\\(.*\\([pP]assword\\|[pP]assphrase.*\\): *$\\)"
>
> It seems clearer.  Regexes are so hard to understand already that I
> think we shouldn't make it more complicated that absolutely necessary.

That works *much* better to my taste. I was about to offer the same :)

        Daniel

--
Reality has a sliding floor.
        -- Ralph Waldo Emerson