>>"K" == Kai Großjohann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    K> Omigod.  I think I'll use this one:

    K> "\\(%s\\)\\|\\(.*\\([pP]assword\\|[pP]assphrase.*\\): *$\\)"

    K> It seems clearer.  Regexes are so hard to understand already that I
    K> think we shouldn't make it more complicated that absolutely necessary.

I suggest defining it in a human-readable way and then using
`regex-opt' on it to obtain an internal version used by the LISP.  The
only disadvantage of this system is that users must be cautioned in
the doc-strings that a change to the user-variable won't be reflected
in the internal variable without an extra step.