rcp.el is not working on AIX 4.2 and 4.3 using the default rcp
protocol.  The reason for this is that the wrong syntax for rsh is
being used.  There are two basic syntaxes for rsh:

  a) rsh [-l user] host [command]
  b) rsh host [-l user] [command]

(a) is what is used in rcp.el at the moment.  AIX requires (b).

I should like to propose that (b) be adopted instead.  This is
conditional on the (b) syntax being usable on all platforms.  My
research results are:

   AIX     (b) only
   IRIX    (a) or (b)  (a) works but is not documented
   ISC     (b) only
   Linux   (a) or (b)  (b) works but is not documented
   NT      (b) only
   Solaris (a) or (b)

It would be helpful if people could try out the following on their
systems to see if there are any that don't grok (b).

   rsh host -l user pwd

Another problem highlighted by this is that the timeouts are not
robust.  When a sub-process fails, emacs can hang.  Sometimes this can
be recovered by ctrl-G but at other times I needed to kill the emacs
process.  Admittedly this is more likely to be an emacs problem rather
than rcp.el but it may be possible to be more defensive.
--
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical