> Did you (require 'rcp) before (require 'efs)?  Or vice versa?  You
> should be doing (require 'efs) before (require 'rcp).

And jka-compr should be activated after all of those.
I think something should be done regarding the ordering on the
file-name-handler-alist, to make sure that things are done right
without the user having to know the magic incantation order.

Of course, this cannot be conveniently fixed just in rcp.el since
rcp.el can't do much about efs.el being loaded too late.  At least
in Emacs the problem does not appear since ange-ftp is activated
very early on.

        Stefan