On 14 Jun 2000, Glenn Proctor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Daniel Pittman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Can you run ssh as an Emacs subprocess and get an interactive shell
>> on the remote system? If not, TRAMP will not work quite right, I
>> fear.
>
> Hmm - when I try this I get "Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated
> because stdin is not a terminal." and it never returns to the shell
> prompt. :-(

That is not a good thing, I believe. Try giving the '-t' argument to
ssh, which may help. If not, there was a hack floating around on the
list that would let you get a terminal on the remote system, you could
check the archives.

[...]

> I set tramp-debug-buffer to t, but no *debug tramp...* buffer was
> generated. So it's not even getting as far as a remote call.

Gah. Not good. :/

>> > 2. I get a "Spawning child process: invalid argument" error
>>
>> If you can reproduce this with the debug value set, then send both
>> the '*debug tramp/...*' and '*tramp/...*' buffers to the list, that
>> would be helpful.
>
> This occurs when trying /r@scp:user@host:file. There is no debug
> buffer (even with the tramp-debug-buffer variable set) but I've
> attached the backtrace below.

[...]

> To clarify: if I use /r@scp:hostname:filename I get the "hang"
> described above. If I use /r:hostname:filename I get the "instant
> return" instead. If I use /r@scp:user@host:filename I get the error
> shown below.

Hrm. It looks like Emacs tries to run the child ssh process, which
fails. Can you try running

'(start-process "ssh-test" (current-buffer) "/ssh/ssh" "bacon" "-l" "glennp")'

Do that in the *scratch* buffer, and use 'C-j' to run it. See what that
says....

        Daniel

--
A good poet is someone who manages, in a lifetime of standing out in
thunderstorms, to be struck by lightning five or six times; a dozen or two