On 12 Sep 2000, Henrik Holm wrote:

> I don't have very much time for doing this kind of things, so it
> might take some time.  but if it doesn't cost you very much time
> to lead me in the right directions, it'd be fun to try!

tramp-dissect-file-name (and tramp-dissect-multi-file-name) looks at
the string representation of the file name and returns a structure
which contains, amongst other things, the user name in question.  You
will have to teach tramp-dissect-file-name to return a special value
when the user name is not given.  And then you need to have a look
through all functions where method, user and host are passed as
parameters.  Most of those functions just pass them on to lower-level
functions, but functions like tramp-open-connection-telnet actually
use the user name.  In those functions, you need to check for the
special value and then do the right thing.

I suggest that you use nil as the special value.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.