[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> On 15 Nov 2000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
> > Could you try this patch to TRAMP and mail the list about the
> > result? It makes TRAMP cope when there wasn't a username supplied
> > with the file path.
>
> The current development sources (not checked in yet) contain code that
> looks like this.  Hm.  The current sources don't work with Emacs 21 in
> all circumstances.  Hm.  I think I'll commit anyway.
>
> Colin, does Daniel's patch work?

It does so perfectly, thanks Dan.

>                                  And does the new version work that
> you'll see in a jiffy?

Unfortunately, no. First, I have to comment out the
  (require 'tramp)
in tramp-vc.el, otherwise it would complain with a
  'Cannot load library file tramp-vc.el'.
This line was the most obvious change between the new and old version.

Now, when trying to log in (after correctly figuring out what my user
name is and asking for my password) it tells me:
  Symbol's value as variable is void: user-login-name

I load tramp like this:

  (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/emacs/tramp/lisp/") load-path))
  (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/emacs/tramp/texi/")
  (require 'tramp)
  (setq tramp-default-method "su")

BTW, did I say that this is a great package? It just needs more
publicity...

  Colin