[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Does your ange-ftp have a variable ange-ftp-try-passive-mode?  Emacs
> 21 has it.
> kai

No.  With a buffer full of ange-ftp  completions, a search on passive
fails.

However I did see something that looks promising.  A variable called
`ange-ftp-before-parse-ls-hook':

Watching verbose output while runing ftp client from the command line
I see it go to passive mode when `ls' is called.  Can you see a way to
alter that behavior with this hook?

   ange-ftp-before-parse-ls-hook's value is
   nil

   Documentation:
   Normal hook run before parsing the text of an ftp directory listing.

   Defined in `ange-ftp'.

But I think that doesn't do what I want.

I tried `(setq ange-ftp-before-parse-ls-hook "passive")' , just in
case but saw no difference.

I think this hook only operates on things after `ls' is called.