On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 11:25:56 +0100, Stefan wrote:

are there any news in plasmid documentation and in-silico cloning with
EMBOSS?

Pierre Lindenbaum wrote a nice little program called "cloneit" for figuring out cloning strategies. That is, specifically what series of reactions to use to insert a particular piece of DNA into a vector. Not sure if that is what you mean by "in-silico cloning" or not. There is
a separate cgi version for web use.  Here is the paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9682060?dopt=Abstract

The original distribution site is long since off line, but the code says that it may be redistributed (and incorporated in noncommercial software, but see the exact wording for details.) Anyway, if anybody wants to have a look, I packed up our copies and put
them here:

http://saf.bio.caltech.edu/pub/software/molbio/cloneit.tar.gz
http://saf.bio.caltech.edu/pub/software/molbio/cloneitcgi.tar.gz

This is not a graphics program, it is a reaction planning program.

As for the graphical output of plasmid diagrams, historically none of the drawing programs does exactly what the end users want. (These get closer and closer, but never quite cover all the bases). For that reason it is really important that the graphics driver be able to output to an object format that can then be imported into a drawing program and edited there. Modifying an image never turns out as nicely. When going to object formats it is key that
text remain text and not be converted into line segments or
paths. Users get really frustrated when they can't edit labels or change fonts or font sizes. Locally we have a hacked up GCG driver that emits cgm format for the GCG drawing programs.
Nowadays going to SVG would make more sense.

While it is sometimes possible to read PDF back into a drawing program like inkscape, text imported that way is very hit and miss, mostly miss. Often it comes through with each letter as a separate text object, which is no fun at all to work with. Other times it will come in with each letter separately kerned, and when that kerning is removed, the text jumps all over the place in unpredictable ways. Why would you remove the kerning? Because there is another bug/limitation in inkscape where kerned text is automatically converted to images when exporting to emf or wmf format, as when trying to move that image into a powerpoint document. Moving rotated text between various programs is the most unreliable operation, as far as I can tell. For instance, I have never found a way to get text which runs at an angle other than 0 degrees from inskcape into powerpoint with that
angle intact.  The text comes through, but the angle is lost.

Regards,

David Mathog
mat...@caltech.edu