I may have found a problem with the Live-CD install and the 5-Axis
sample config.
I don't know if the problem is present in other non-trivial kinematics
as I am too unfamiliar with the sample configs to know which are
likely to be similar.

If you start HAL_SIM_5AXIS, jog the X axis in joint mode, then switch
to MDI (F5) you get stuck. The MDI window opens with the message "All
axes must be homed before going into coordinated mode"

If you then go back to Manual mode (F3) and press the home-all button
than all axes appear to home.

At this point switching to World mode ($) gives you the error "all
joints must be homed before going in to teleop mode"
Attempts to execute MDI commands in the MDI window give "Must be in
MDI mode to issue MDI commands"

I have not yet found a way out of this predicament.

--
atp