Well, after an AMAZING amount of fooling around with barely one page of
code, I finally
have MOST of the velocity estimation working in the ppmc driver.  I'm
still not sure it is right, though.

One quirk, which I think is inherent in the way that HAL component
encoder.c works,
and which I copied,
is that a dithering encoder gets the wrong velocity.  The first count of
the dither gets
the right velocity, as there was no movement for some time before.  The
second count,
if immediately following the first one, cancels out the movement, but it
gets twice the
velocity, as these are seen as two counts in a short period of time.  I
suppose you could look
back two servo periods, and if the position delta between now and n-2 is
zero, then velocity
should be zero in that case.

Maybe I implemented the code wrong.  Under some conditions it seems like
it might be an
improvement, but it is not as smooth as I had hoped for.  Now, maybe the
problem is the
servo I am using for tuning is so jittery (as it does not yet use the
velocity info) that it creates
a lot of these dithery counts.

Jon