On 08/29/2011 05:31 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 29 August 2011 04:02, Sebastian Kuzminsky<s...@highlab.com>  wrote:
>> Whoops, the 5i21 has two IO Connectors named P1, and the 5i25 has no
>> connectors.
> Two connectors called P1 is wierd, but correct, as it is a single
> connector sharing two 32 bit buffers.
> I am confused by the second statement. Are you saying that physically
> the 5i25 has no connectors, or that the patch doesn't set any up?
> Neither appears to be correct to me, but I am probably missing a
> subtle point, can you elucidate?

Never mind, I'm just being stupid.  The patch sets up the 5i25 with
connectors, I just missed it.

>> There are a couple of other places where the pin number is converted to
>> a port number and a pin-within-that-port number.  hm2_set_pin_source()
>> and hm2_set_pin_direction() come to mind.  The code you added to
>> hm2_print_pin_usage() seems to do it right, maybe it'd make sense to
>> annotate the pins with their port and pin-within-port info at init
>> time?  Add it to the hm2_pin_t maybe?
> That sounds like it might make sense. I am unfamiliar with that
> section of the code (and the EMC2 machine is disconnected at the
> moment) so can't immediately tell what would be involved.
>
>> Also, this commit broke the unit tests.  One of the hm2-idrom test cases
>> verifies that IOWidth is 24, and that's obviously no longer the case.
> I am embarrassed to admit that I had never spotted that test
> directory, so wasn't aware of the idrom test.

The runtests script knows about it.  If you build, then source
emc-environment, then run runtests, it'll run all the unit tests.  Or
you can say "runtests $EMC2_HOME/tests/hm2-idrom" to run just that one.

>> You removed that requirement in hm2_read_idrom() and hm2_print_idrom().
>> Maybe the llio should tell us what it's expected IOWidth is?  It knows
>> how big its connectors are, after all, and it seems like a good sanity
>> check.
> Yes, that probably does make sense.
> Do you mean that an entry for port width should be added to the
> hm2_lowlevel_io_t, or is there something already there that I haven't
> spotted.
>
> To save duplication of effort, we probably ought to agree who is going
> to make the changes before starting :-)

I made a commit to 2.5 last night that implements this, and just merged
it into master this morning.

I did not do the "set per-pin port and pin-within-port information at
init-time" work, if it's not done by the end of this week by someone
else I'll do it.  I think what's needed is to add "connector_number" and
"pin_within_connector" to hm2_pin_t, and use the new logic that Peter
added to hm2_print_pin_usage() to initialize those fields, maybe in
hm2_configure_pins().  But I haven't looked very closely at it...

BTW I tested v2.5.0-pre1-616-gd4e9c8f (which includes Peter's patch and
my llio update) on my Bridgeport last night.  It's using a 5i22 and it
didn't break, so that's good...  Man I wish we had a big hm2 test farm
with all the AnyIO cards in it, and a bunch of loopback wiring harnesses
and stuff...

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky