On 09/11/2011 02:53 PM, Chris Morley wrote:

> While working on configuration program one tends to see
> inconsistencies with programs built by different developers.
> It can be a great pain for PNCconf and more importantly
> new users.
>
> One I would like to discuss and is easy to fix is the use of
> POSTGUI_HALFILE
>
> This is used to load a HAL file after the GUI has built all
> its HAL pins. Something ALL GUI's need to do.
>
> Unfortunately only AXIS uses this particular form.
> And since our DOCS use AXIS as a sample so much
> , not to mention the actual name of the heading
> ( POSTGUI not POSTAXIS )
> it is easy to think all GUI look for this file.
>
> Touchy looks for touchy.hal. I believe the others don't look for
> any.
>
> So I propose that all new GUI's should be built to look for
> POSTGUI_HALFILE and TOUCHY be patched now to do this.
> I have coded a patch to TOUCHY that calls whatever file is
> under the heading POSTGUI_HALFILE = in the INI file
> just like AXIS does. It does this after it loads touchy.hal.
> So it should not break existing configs that don't use
> POSTGUI but does allow postgui HAL files to load as the DOCS
> talk about.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Chris M

Chris, et al --

If changes are to be made I suggest supporting multiple POSTGUI_HALFILE
lines, to execute multiple files in order, as is currently the case with
multiple HALFILE lines. This would be helpful to modularize hal
configuration. In my case this would help for moving configs between a
simulation machine and the real one, and enabling GUI indicators for debug.

Karl