On 1/18/2012 6:42 AM, EBo wrote:
Ick...  Oh well, it looks like Fred Proctor published the first paper
in 1993, and emc.com incorporated in 1994...  At least they were nice
about it so it sounds like.  To bad we could not skip 2 and move on to 3
;-)  Actually them copyrighting/trademarking what is in essence
Einstein's equation is a little odd, but Oh well.

Thanks for the elucidation and the documentation.  The link to the
announcement might be a good addendum to the FAQ.

    EBo --

If only it were so simple. The trouble is, EMC was formed as a company in 1979, its name is derived from the initials of its founding fathers, it has 47 000 employees with offices in 100 countries, and it has a huge presence in computing technology.

Pierre Trudeau, former PM of Canada, once said of the USA "Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

We're in a similar situation.

As for NIST's role, it's unfortunate that Enhanced Machine Controller was chosen as the name of the system and that EMC is a natural shorthand for it. That's history and I think we should celebrate it, but I don't see anything is to be gained holding our breath until we turn blue.

I still think our documentation including our online presence such as the wiki and websites needs to be quite explicit about what was past and what the agreement means going forward.

Regards,
Kent