Hi Jon,

>> If the rt-preempt route doesn't work, I'll try applying RTAI to a
>> kernel RPM.  It would be neat to get LinuxCNC working with linux-rt,
>> of course, but from what I've found on the list and the irc logs,
>> there's only a small amount of interest ATM, though that might
>> increase because of OSADL.
>>
> One significant aspect of this would be that it could make LinuxCNC run
> on the Beagle
> Board, for which there is no RTAI patch yet, and we've been waiting a
> LONG time.
> I would LOVE to do some performance tests on the Beagle to see how well
> LinuxCNC
> runs on it.

I think that means no RTAI patch for ARM?  Have you seen this project,
which is similar to what I'm doing?

http://www.bitmuster.org/projects/emc.html
http://gitorious.org/emc-rt-preempt

This effort seems to have stalled, and the patch applies to v2.4.4.
However, it compiled easily using the cookbook in the first link.  Maybe
it would get you to where you could run those performance tests.

That project was where I initially started from, but there were some
messy things in the patch that I didn't feel like cleaning up, so I went
back to Michael Buesch's original, very clean patches.

(The mess was nothing that would stop you from compiling the project,
but things like ripped out .gitignore files, a committed .rej file,
other stuff.  At some point I may go back to check for any useful
additions, but I'll leave out the SHM bit.)

Anyway, good news is Michael's patches forward-ported to git HEAD
compiled last night with minor twiddling.  I'll be running tests over
the next few days to see if the beast actually runs.  ;)

        John