Hi Charles and Jan,

>> This is just a stab in the dark, but Debian uses EGLIBC while I
>> think Fedora is still on normal GLIBC. And there were some mutex
>> priority issues in eglibc, quite a long time ago though.
>>
>> John can you repeat Charles' problem in your setup?

Fedora uses glibc, yes, and I've replicated what Charles has done
exactly.  :)

> What I'm seeing in the debugger is while going through hal_init the
> hal_data->mutex bit is getting set and is visible in the memory
> display window after rtapi_mutex_get is called.  However after calling
> rtapi_mutex_give, the mutex bit is *STILL SET* in my debugger memory
> display.

Yep, same here.

> I don't know if this is a fundamental problem with the rtapi code or
> something to do with running from the debugger with breakpoints and
> whatnot.  It does seem odd that this would be due to system libraries,
> as the relevant code seems to be entirely within the linuxcnc rtapi
> tree.  There could be some other issue with the memory mapping or
> something system related, I suppose.
>
> I do, however, get identical results when running the code normally
> from the command line and then attaching to it with the debugger (the
> code is looping waiting to acquire the hal_data->mutex that will never
> become available).
>
> Also, the 2.4.4 patched version from bitmuster compiles and runs fine
> on this same system, so if there is a library issue, it's likely
> related to the changes from 2.4 to 2.5.

Same here with 2.4.4, I think.  I'm unsure because the first compile was
behaving like my forward-ported patches, but it started working after I
recompiled with -g.  Hrm.

> Did anything major change in the hal shared-memory usage between 2.4
> and 2.5?

Wonder how hard to start bisecting....  ;)

Anyway, up to now I've only managed to reproduce your results.  I'll get
back if I learn anything new.

        John