On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 12:16:39 -0600
Daniel Rogge <dro...@tormach.com> wrote:

> Redis seems like the winner to me, but I
> didn't perceive a groundswell of support for redis the last time it
> came up on the list.

Sometimes people express their support of an idea simply by not
complaining about it.

To answer the question proposed by the subject of this thread, there
could be a new HAL component called perhaps memunit. In a .hal file, it
would be started like this:

loadusr memunit <name of database file to open>

At startup memunit reads the database file and creates pairs of pins
like:

memunit.0.gear.in (connected to gearchange.0.sel for example)

and

memunit.0.gear.out (which would be used to set the initial state of the
gearchange component)

NOTE: Several other changes may be needed to make this work well. Some
components like toggle may need to create a .initvalue pin, and the
setp command would need to be extended so that you could rewrite
configs/tormach/custom_postgui.hal like this:

net togout toggle.0.out not.0.in gearchange.0.sel pyvcp.highgear-led
net togout memunit.0.gear.in                 <- New Line
net logear not.0.out pyvcp.lowgear-led
net gearswap toggle.0.in pyvcp.gearchange-button
setp toggle.0.initvalue memunit.0.gear.out   <- New Line
net spindle-speed-raw pyvcp.spindle-speed-meter
net spindle-speed-raw pyvcp.spindle-speed-number

I've not thought this through rigidly, so there may be a need for
read/write signals (or R/W and LE) to the memunit, or it may be
possible to otherwise economize on the scheme I've described. There may
also be horrible unintended consequences which are glaringly obvious to
everyone but me :)

Thanks,
Matt