Am 08.03.2013 um 06:27 schrieb Chris Morley:

> I'm just thinking out loud here:
>

>> The question I'm asking myself: is a UI actually the right place to save HAL
>> state across runs?
>>

> I think it depends on the data. eg toolnumber -no the interp should do that.
> jog increment -yes the UI should. But you could argue in either case.

yes. I would think the data in question is always associated with a particular
component, like the gearchange or gladevcp cases mentioned. So that will always
apply to a select subset of pins explicitly named.

there are arguments for doing it in HAL as triggered by the component, and
arguments for doing it only in the component. There are no arguments for doing
it in a per-component style.

The upside of doing it in HAL is: it needs to be done once only.

> Well since the UI drives the changes I would think It should drive how and
> what is persistent.
> If the HAL pin is persistent then you must find away to initialize the widget
> from the HAL pin on startup, then drive the pin after that. But what if the
> GUI starts before the HAL pin?

Yes, I'd think a flow is needed where components with persistent pins pull in
those values from storage, whatever that looks like.

> I think a common messaging system that components or UI could use at their
> discretion, would be helpful. It would be nice if any component could access
> any information at any time (well at least read them anyways)
> Can a realtime HAL components easily use a messaging system? Kernel code is
> limiting right?

that is a resolved issue - I have a demo RT component which can do messaging
in-kernel just fine without any per-component special purpose code like we
currently have, and there i'll explain that shortly as I've threatened to do ;).

This btw also lays the groundwork for the HAL refactoring JMK had in mind -
moving most of HAL to a userland demon. It'd be nice if somebody tackled it
eventually, but it is not urgent.

- Michael