On 5/7/2013 5:53 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> This models a linear dependency of delta-torque to delta-time, which
> seems like it should break down at some point.
Absolutely, just as the small-angle analysis of a pendulum begins to
break down as the angle increases beyond 30deg-45deg, say. Fred and Will
were just trying to estimate the size of the effect.

---
On 5/7/2013 12:50 AM, Michael Haberler wrote:

> Note this does_not_  address the (IMO more interesting) question how latency
> impacts 'path tracking quality' of a real and complete motion/pid etc servo
> setup; that would be worth a separate attempt, probably more based on control
> theory than measurements plus some verification

I share your desire. Not knowing how the work would proceed, I thought a
bit instead about how it would end. A full minute later I decided I also
don't know how one would devise a quality metric which would be useful
to prospective CNC system buyers/integrators. We constantly run into
these problems in devising rating schemes for equipment. Consider
vehicle fuel economy ratings. In the USA the EPA three-number scheme
(city mileage/highway mileage/combined) is constantly attacked as
hopelessly simplistic yet the next step up in sophistication seems to be
hopelessly complicated to non-technical people. I participated
peripherally in similar endless arguments during the 1980s concerning
rating schemes for such mundane items as HVAC equipment, solar-energy
collectors, and the like.

I'm hoping that work proceeds along the lines that Michael has indicated
and some wisdom emerges out of the thicket of results.

Regards,
Kent