> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 11:31:54 -0500
> From: j...@zultron.com
> To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Emc-developers] [DISCUSS] Proposal:  Drop Hardy support
>
> Hi list,
>
> Continuing to support Ubuntu 8.04 is foolhardy, and I propose we stop.

Our policy has been up to now that we would support older versions, until
it became painful to do so.
I think this is a good policy. Since we often promote the use of older systems
it makes sense to support them as long as possible.

It seems that the changes coming in UB are going to make support for hardy
painful, so I support dropping it.

> - AFAICT, there is only a very small handful of users still running
> LinuxCNC on Hardy.  I'd wager that those users are quite conservative,
> and aren't interested in new features for LinuxCNC anyway.

I am not so sure about not many using Hardy, But I agree that if they are, they
probably are not upgrade junkies.

> My proposals for the next IRC meeting agenda:
>
> - Hardy is officially unsupported by the project beyond v2.5_branch.
>
> - Disable buildbot triggered builds for all branches except v2.5_branch.
>
> The intention is that those still on Hardy will get bug fixes for v2.5,
> but other branches that aren't required to support Hardy will not be
> tripped up by failed buildbot builds.

I agree. I wonder if placing a GIT tag in 2.6 just before Hardy support is
broken
so people could compile the very latest before hardy is gone would be helpful?

Chris M